It’s time to submit what you want to brew for Yappy Hour! For those who are new to the Club, Yappy Hour is our annual charity event with Apocalypse Brew Works to raise money for the Kentucky Humane Society during Louisville’s Craft Beer Week. It is also our big opportunity to highlight homebrewing and the LAGERS Club. Essentially, the idea is that we host a brew-in with ABW on the first Sunday of August where Club members can brew any recipe they want on premise. Then, the wort is taken inside ABW and made into beer by the licensed brewery. Along the way, we help them manage the fermentations, transfers, packaging and carbonating. Then during Craft Beer Week, Club members serve their beers at an event called Yappy Hour. This is a dog friendly event that is designed to promote awareness for ABW, LAGERS and the Humane Society. Then, a donation matching the proceeds from the event will be made to the Louisville Chapter of the Kentucky Humane Society.
So, here is what you need to know:
– ABW will supply all ingredients, but you must bring your brewing rig to the brew-in.
– Each brewer is responsible for going to: https://goo.gl/forms/0DBQTZAb0csh56X12 to register to brew and submit their recipe
– The deadline to submit a recipe is July 23rd.
– Recipes must be limited to 1.060 gravities
– Recipes should not include expensive fruits, syrups, difficult to source ingredients, excessive hop bills, etc.
– All ingredients will be purchased through Great Fermentations. Double check with their website to ensure a malt, hop or yeast that you want to use is available through them.
– You can make either 5 or 10 gallon batches
– If you brew electric or cannot travel with your system, you may pick up your ingredients and return with a carboy of wort (no yeast!)
– The default yeast provided will be the house yeast (WLP090), unless you specify otherwise when you submit your recipe
– Following the brew day, you are then responsible for all transfers of your beer including secondary (if desired) and kegging.
– ABW will carbonate the beers, but you must have your beer in a keg by September 9th
– You must be a LAGERS member to enter (but not to attend the brew-in)
Remember, on the day of the brew-in, you should bring out your whole brewing rig, everything you need to make a batch of beer. Don’t forget your fermenting vessel, airlock and sanitizer! All of your ingredients will be waiting for you when you arrive at ABW. A basic timeline consists of 2-3 weeks to primary, 1-2 weeks in secondary/crash cooling and 1-2 weeks carbonating and conditioning. However, you may do whatever you prefer in regards to stages, timing, etc. – it’s your beer and you are responsible for it. (please pressure test your keg first for leaks).
Again, if you cannot attend the brew-in or cannot travel with your brewing rig, you may still take unfermented wort to ABW any time during this period. However, there can be NO beer made at home and taken up to ABW to sell during Yappy Hour. If you need to make wort at home, then you must still register on the website, submit your recipe and pick up your ingredients from ABW prior to making the wort.
The point is to keep costs low and make as big a donation as possible to the Humane Society. If you want to go all out on your recipe, that is fine, but we may ask you to bring a few ingredients with you. For example, if you really want to make an oak aged, chai tea and vanilla beer, then ABW will provide the base ingredients and ask you to supply your own oak chips chai tea and vanilla extract.
In addition, the brew-in for Yappy Hour is also an opportunity for us to showcase homebrewing and the Club. You do not have to brew for Yappy Hour to brew at the brew-in, nor do you even have to brew to attend the Club event. During the brew-in, we are asking everyone to bring a keg to hook up to the cold plate. Feel free to bring family and friends to socialize, learn about homebrewing and try some good food and beer. Then, bring them back in September to support Yappy Hour during Craft Beer Week.
Go here to submit your recipe!