June LAGERS Newsletter
Spring is here and with it, lots of LAGERS news! We just finished orders for our Spring bulk grain buy, announced a new club trip for July, and the entry deadline for State Fair homebrew competition is fast approaching.
- The iSpindel are in and ready to go. If you ordered one and didn’t pick it up at the last meeting, please either arrange for pickup with Greg or come to the June meeting! Also, if you had one assembled, please be sure to thank Greg! He put in a lot of time with the soldering iron putting those together.
- If you haven’t paid your dues for 2022 yet, please take a moment and do that now. Click here.
- Congratulations to Evan Brill for winning the West Sixth Brew-Off! He’ll be brewing up a batch of his beer with them soon so look for it on draft in Nulu and Lexington!
- The Kentucky State Fair is officially part of the Midwestern Brewing Cup.
- Speaking of the State Fair, registration is due by July 1st! Late entries up to July 10th. More information here (starts on page 50).
- If you missed our May meeting, you missed an excellent talk from Spencer Guy of Atrium on brewing with fruit! As always with Spencer, he dropped a knowledge bomb and got me really excited about brewing some new fruited beers. Keep an eye out for my triple berry lactose yogurt granola sprinkle beer in a few months!
- June 11th – Dekegger Homebrew Competition – Decatur, IN
- June 18th – Summer SMaSH – St Louis, MO
- June 20th – LAGERS Meeting – Akasha Brewing
- July 1st – KY State Fair registration due
- July 9th – Indiana Brewers’ Cup – Indianapolis, IN
- July 16th – LAGERS Trip to South Fork Malthouse
- July 24th – Fermentation Frenzy 2022 Competition – Cincinatti, OH
- July 23rd – Bluegrass Cup – Lexington, KY
- August 10th – KY State Fair beer dropoff
Our next meeting is on June 20th at 7 PM, at Akasha Brewing. Mark Robinson will be giving a presentation on Sake.
South Fork Malthouse Trip
July 16th – 1 PM
LAGERS is going South Fork Malthouse! Kentucky’s only craft maltery has invited LAGERS out for a tour of the facility. It’s a pretty cool place so please join us on July 16th at 1 PM! There is a FB event here. I’m going to try and organize some carpools since it’s a bit of a drive to Cynthiana. Make sure you bring some cash to buy some South Fork grain. He usually has Two Row and Pilsner malts, and should have some other goodies available as well.
There is talk of also checking out the Country Boy production facility/tap room in Georgetown on the way back. Keep checking the FB event for more info as the date approaches.
June Brewer Recipe Highlight
Brewer: Jeff Kiesler
Beer: Cream Ale
Batch size: 7 gal
Grain: 2-Row – 9.5 lbs
White Wheat – 1 lb
Flaked Barley – 1lb
Flaked Oat – 1lb
Mt Hood – .75 oz – 60 min
Liberty – 1 oz – 15 min
Protein rest of 122 degrees for 25 minutes. Raise to 148 for 180 minutes. Mash out at 168. Ferment at 63 for four days and then gradually raise temp to reach final gravity.