6/20/2016 Monthly Meeting Minutes
- Club Swag– LAGERS Tasting Glasses and Howlers are available for $6 each, or 2 for $10. You can pick them up at any club event.
- June 25th is the LAGERS Summer Party, see our Facebook Page for the event details. Bring a raffle item to the party!
- KSF Homebrew Competition 2016– Big Changes for this year!
- This years competition will use the 2015 BJCP guidelines– there are 40 categories with 121 subcategories for beer.
- More info on the 2015 BJCP Guidelines are here: 2015 BJCP
- 7/1/2016 is the entry deadline — entries are $5 each, you can enter each subcategory.
- 7/10/2016 is the late entry deadline– after 7/1 entries are $8 each.
- There will be a label competition– 3 categories, see KSF registration for more details
- Late Changes– if you need to make a last minute change to an entry (wrong style/subcategory etc) the KSF will accept changes if submitted in writing before 7/10/2016.
- Beer Turn in will be held on Wednesday 8/10/2016 from 10AM until 6PM.
- Judging/Stewarding Sessions–
- Friday 8/12 at 7:00 PM
- Saturday 8/13 at 9:30 AM
- Saturday 8/13 at 12:30 PM
- Award Ceremony will follow shortly after completion of the last session.
- Volunteers are needed! See the registration page on the LAGERS Home Page to sign up.
- Thanks to Tim Rosenberger for all of the information on the 2016 KSF Homebrew Competition
- Yappy Hour Brew In– Our annual brew in will be held at Apocalypse Brew Works on 8/7/2016. More details to come.
- LAGERS Club Brew Kit Competition– The idea for this competition comes from JD Longhammer. All entrants will be required to use the same grain bill, hop bill and yeast. A kit will be available from Great Fermentations for brewers to order and use for the competition. This will be a test of process control and brewing quality. Judging will be held on 8/7/2016 at the Yappy Hour Brew In. JD is also sponsoring a $50 gift card to Great Fermentations for the winning brewer! More details to come on rules and entry form.
- Chuck Harp shared that 6 LAGERS members attended Homebrew Con in Baltimore and represented the club well. Pictures from the trip will be available on the LAGERS Home Page as well as our Facebook page soon!
- Our club President Christopher Owen won a Bronze Medal in the National Homebrew Competition for his Pale Kellerbier. Congratulations to Christopher!
The June Education Session was hosted by our VP Mike Pemberton. Mike gave an in depth presentation on “Getting Started with Mead,” along with several tasty samples from his Meadery. For those that missed it or want to review again, we hope to have the presentation hosted on the LAGERS Home Page soon and will provide the link when available.
Several club members brought samples to share with attendees:
- Mark Robinson
- Raspberry Mead
- Peach Mead
- Blueberry Melomel
- Andrew Payne
- Belgian Ale
- Conrad Selles
- Berliner Weisse w/ syrups
- Amber Lager
- Evan Brill
- Session Rye IPA
- West Coast IPA